1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 cup sliced onion
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 (15-ounced) can stewed, diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or water
3 cups water
1 cup dry lentils
2/3 cup barley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat vegetable oil in large soup pan over medium-high heat.
Cook garlic and onion until they are golden brown, about 1 or 2 minutes.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the
heat so the mixture is at a light simmer. Place a lid on the pot.
3. Cook until the barley and lentils are tender, about one hour to an hour and a half.
4. Serve hot in a soup bowl.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.