This recipe is a good source of Vitamin A, which keeps eyes and skin healthy.
1 pound lean ground beef (10% fat or less)
1 medium carrot diced, about 1 cup
1 medium onion diced, about 1 cup
1 stalk celery chopped, about 1 cup
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup barley
8 cups water
1 cube beef bouillon
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. In large sauce pot, cook ground beef over medium heat.
2. Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic; stir often and cook for
about 5 minutes.
3. Add 8 cups of water, bouillon, tomatoes with juice, and barley. Bring to a boil.
4. Cover and reduce heat to a low boil. Cook for 30-40 minutes.
5. Add pepper.
6. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.